Ingredients for Soy Sauce Chicken :-
- 2 thigh + 1 chicken breast
- 1 cup water
- 4 tsp light soy sauce
- 5 pieces star anise
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 inch old ginger ( sliced )
- 6 cloves garlic ( finely chopped )
- Salt to taste
- Boil the chicken for 20 minutes or until cooked. Removed the chicken and set aside to cool.
- Retain broth for use on rice and chili sauce.
- Boil 1 cup of water with light soy sauce, star anise, Cinnamon stick, garlic and ginger at high heat.
- When sauce rolling boil, add in brown sugar and chicken then reduce the heat to medium.
- Let the chicken simmer in the soy sauce for 45 minutes or until the gravy nearly dry.
- Turn off the heat and prepare to serve with rice.
Ingredients for Hainanese Style Chicken Rice:-
- 2 cups rice ( washed )
- 2 tsp oil preferably oil from frying chicken/ cooking oil ( I used oil from frying turmeric chicken )
- 1-2 inch ginger ( finely chopped )
- 5 cloves garlic ( finely chopped )
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 chicken broth or more ( reserved from chicken that boiled )
- 2 Pandan leaves
- Heat the wok with oil and then saute the ginger and garlic until light brown.
- Add in rice and 2 tbsp water. Stir well until rice is coated with the oil.
- Pour the rice mixture into rice cooker and add in pandan leaves and chicken broth.
- Ensure the chicken broth enought just to cover the rice.
- Cook as usual you cook the normal rice.
- When the rice is ready, check the rice whether is too hard. If yes, you can add some chicken broth into it but not too many and re-cook.
- Ready to serve with the chicken.
Ingredients for Chili Garlic Sauce:-
- 10 Red Chili ( I replaced with 5 Dried chili )
- 1 inch ginger
- 4 garlic gloves
- 2 tbsp chicken broth ( reserved from the chicken that boiled )
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp sugar ( or more )
- Dash of salt to taste
- Just blend all ingredients in the blender.